Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What makes me smile

Every morning I wake up to my beautiful daughters face. She wakes me up usually about two hours before I would like to be awake, but that's OK. I get her breakfast and turn on Blues Clues. Once she is all set, I start my day with the two things I could not live with out, coffee and God(not in order of importance obviously). While I drink my fresh, vanilla flavored wake up call, I pray, read my Bible and allow God to point me in the right direction for my day. This particular morning, I came across an amazing passage and wanted to share it with you.

"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know Him. "
1 John 3:1

I think I may have read that verse almost 10 times! I got so excited! I then changed the us' to me's.
How great is the love the Father has lavished on ME, that I should be called a child of God! And that is what I am! The reason the world does not know me is that it does not know Him.
How great it is! I am a child of God! Me, of all people. After all I have been through, after all of the things I have done, I am a child of God.

I have often felt rejected, and out of place since my journey with Christ began. Once I started living for Him and not for myself and my pleasure, I felt like an outcast in many places I had been comfortable before. "They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you." 1 Peter 4:4
That's exactly how I felt. Sometimes I'd over think it and I would feel bad, even a little lonely at times. I would think that maybe fitting in was easier. Then I would remember:
"...we have an obligation -but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. For if you live according to the sinful nature , you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of your body, you will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God." Romans 8:12-14

And that is what I am! I am a child of God! How great is that! And in all truth, not fitting in is a good thing. Who would want to fit in with the people who live of this world? I don't! So maybe sometimes I feel uncomfortable because I talk, think, and act differently that some people, but why should I let that bother me? From here on out, I will not! And my prayer is that you will not either. Let us never forget that Jesus was a "misfit", and if we want to hang with Him, well...it's a small price to pay. Because nothing makes me smile more that saying aloud "I AM A CHILD OF GOD!"

1 comment:

Donna Schultz said...

You ARE a child of God, baby girl...and I'm so glad you're my child too!!!