Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Don't Miss the Boat

I came upon a verse today that I felt compelled to share. It is simple and straight forward; it does not leave much to interpretation. You can't read it and try to make it mold to you in a certain situation in your life or into the answer to a prayer you have been praying. It is what it is and it says what it says. I have somehow never heard this verse brought up in church and I am kind of puzzled as to why. It says it all.

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'
Matthew 7:21-23 (NIV)

Another translation makes it even clearer if possible what is being said.

"Knowing the correct password-saying 'Master, Master,' for instance-isn't going to get you anywhere with me. What is required is serious obedience-doing what my Father wills. I can see it now-at the Final Judgement thousands strutting up to me saying, 'Master, we preached the Message, we bashed the demons, our God-sponsored projects had everyone talking.' And do you know what I am going to say? 'You missed the boat. All you did was use me to make yourselves important. You do not impress me one bit. You're out of here.'
Matthew 7 (The Message)

Going to church on Sunday, attending Wednesday night Bible study, putting "Christian" on your Facebook page, even holding fundraisers at your church or doing an inner city outreach or going on missions trips DO NOT get you into Heaven. Look deeply and honestly inside yourself to find if there has ever been something you have done or said not for the glory of God, but because it made you look good? Honestly, I have. Do you go to church or participate in God-sponsored projects just so you appear to be a "good Christian"?

SERIOUS obedience, DOING the Lord's will; that is what it is all about. Not being a "Christian", but a Christ Follower. It is a challenge that we will fail at every hour of every day. Yet if we acknowledge our shortcomings and repent, we change our attitudes, heart, and motives, and we put all of our trust and love and our entire lives in Him for His glory, and renounce ourselves to any and all credit or praise, we have gotten on that boat.

I don't know much, I can tell you that. I can't tell you what my future holds. I cannot even honestly tell you what I want for my future, because I am open to the things and places where God wants me and await his will for me with curiosity and excitement. I do know one thing for sure though. There is one thing that I know more than anything else on this earth. I do not want to be in front of Jesus at the Final Judgement and have Him say to me "You missed the boat. You do not impress me. You're out of here!"

Do you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

kelly...im excited to see u are walking with God, his light shines through u!! Its awesome u are doing this!! We have lots to catch up on...hope we can meet up soon!! xo cara

DaveKerwin said...

With God it boils down to relationship time and time again. While it IS true that he wants us to obey him, but that is the lead-in to KNOWING him. Following rules is not God's end game, it is important, but that is not all there is to it, the door is open to next steps with Christ.