Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mother's Day

With Mother's Day approaching, I find myself looking back on my life. At the beautiful 13 months I have had with my daughter, Ashton, and the 25 years I have spent with my own mother. I realized that although times are tough, money is tight, and life isn't exactly what I dreamed it would be when I was young, I am the luckiest woman alive. I was blessed with a mother who saved my soul, and a daughter who saved my life.

My mother is the most amazing woman that I know. I feel privileged to call her my mother and hope that I am one day like her. She has amazing faith and a love for Christ like no one else I know. I am constantly learning new things from her. What is most amazing about her is that she is also my best friend. It wasn't always like that though. She was first and foremost my mother and then a friend. She disciplined me when I needed it and was there for me when I needed a shoulder. She always made her faith and her wish for my walk with God apparent, but she never pushed it on me. She knew that with trust and prayer, I would eventually see the light of God and it may have taken some time, but I did. I know that even when times were tough and my life was a mess, she was praying all day long some days for my safety and my return to Christ. Through her prayers, and God's will, I am here today healthy and happy. She was an example of what a strong Christian woman should be and I owe my eternal life, the salvation of my soul, to her wonderful and consistent example of walking with Christ.

Now on my second Mother's Day, I look at my daughter and smile. She is truly a gift from God, the miracle that saved my life. At the end of a long road of self destruction, I found myself pregnant. Not the worst of news, but not the best in my book either. It was that little life inside of me that made me change my ways. I knew that it was time to stop pretending I was a rock star and get my life in order. Now, almost 2 years clean, I can't even imagine why I lived like that. It was a void I was trying to fill, pain I was trying to conceal that drove me down a path of sin. Now God fills that void and heals my pain. Ashton literally saved my life. If it weren't for her, I would probably be dead or in jail right now.

My only hope is that I can be a blessing to her like she has already been a blessing to me. That I can be the mother to her that my mother was to me. I hope that one day she will look at me the same way that I look at my mother. I have truly been blessed beyond belief and I know now that I am where I am supposed to be: walking in Christs footsteps with an amazing example next to me to help me when I am lost, and a beautiful baby girl on the other side, who has now two great examples as she grows up in Christ.

Mom, I thank you for your endless support and love. You have been a true angel to me and I am so lucky to have you to turn to. You are an example and a teacher to so many, but there are few of us who can call you Mom, and I have never been prouder to be one of them. I love you. Happy Mother's Day.

1 comment:

Donna Schultz said...

I love you too, sweet baby girl.